How to Make a Beebee Gun Out of a Pen
To begin with, gather the necessary supplies: a pen (preferably one with a removable cap), small rubber bands or elastic bands, scissors, and some beebees or small pellets. It’s important to note that safety should always be the top priority when working on any homemade projects involving projectiles. Be mindful of your surroundings and ensure that no harm can come to yourself or others during the process.
The first step is to disassemble the pen by removing the ink cartridge from inside. Next, carefully cut off the tip of the pen using scissors, leaving only about half an inch remaining. This will create an opening where you’ll load your ammunition.
Once you have prepared the pen body, insert several beebees or small pellets into it through the open end. Make sure they fit snugly but not too tightly as this could affect their trajectory when fired. Now comes the fun part – using rubber bands or elastic bands, secure one end around where the ink cartridge used to be and stretch it back towards the opposite end of the pen barrel. This will create tension for launching your projectiles.
Choosing The Right Pen For Your Beebee Gun
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Pen for Your Beebee Gun
When it comes to making a beebee gun out of a pen, selecting the right pen is crucial. Here are some factors to consider when choosing a pen for your DIY project:
- Size and Shape: Look for pens that are long enough to accommodate the necessary components and have a suitable diameter for ease of handling.
- Material: Opt for pens made from sturdy materials such as metal or durable plastic, as they will provide better stability and longevity.
- Weight: Consider the weight of the pen since it can affect accuracy and ease of use. A lightweight option may be more comfortable for extended shooting sessions.
- Grip: Look for pens with ergonomic designs or textured grips, as they can enhance control and prevent slippage during operation.
Different Types of Pens Suitable For Making a Beebee Gun
Not all pens are created equal when it comes to converting them into beebee guns. Here are some popular types of pens that have been found suitable for this purpose:
- Ballpoint Pens: Ballpoint pens often feature removable caps, providing easy access to modify or attach additional parts required for creating a beebee gun.
- Gel Pens: Gel pens offer smooth writing experiences due to their ink consistency, but many models also have removable caps, making them viable options for DIY projects like making beebee guns.
- Mechanical Pencils: While not technically “pens,” mechanical pencils can also be converted into beebee guns with some modifications. Their slender design makes them ideal in situations where concealment is desired.
Disassembling The Pen And Prepping The Parts
Disassembling The Pen
The first step in transforming a pen into a beebee gun is to disassemble it. This process involves carefully taking apart the pen to access its internal components. Here’s how you can do it:
- Remove the cap: Start by removing the cap from the pen. Set it aside as you won’t need it for this project.
- Unscrew or pull off the barrel: Depending on the type of pen, you’ll either need to unscrew or pull off the barrel. Look for any visible threads or grips that indicate how to detach it from the body of the pen.
- Separate and extract ink cartridges: Once you have removed the barrel, you’ll find one or more ink cartridges inside. Gently separate these cartridges from their housing and set them aside..
Identifying And Prepping The Barrel
After disassembling your pen, focus on identifying and preparing its barrel for use in creating a beebee gun.
- Inspecting material suitability: Check if your pen’s barrel is made of suitable material such as plastic or metal. Plastic barrels are generally easier to work with due to their malleability.
- Measuring length and diameter: Use a ruler or calipers to measure both the length and diameter of your pen’s barrel accurately. These measurements will help determine compatibility with other parts needed for constructing your beebee gun.
- Cleaning and smoothing surfaces: Clean any residual ink or debris from inside and outside of your barrel using a cloth or cotton swab soaked in rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol). Ensure that all surfaces are smooth without any obstructions that could hinder projectile movement later on.
By properly identifying and prepping your pen’s barrel, you’ll be well on your way to creating a functional beebee gun.
In conclusion, creating a beebee gun out of a pen can be an interesting DIY project for those who are curious and enjoy tinkering with everyday objects. However, it is important to approach this activity with caution and responsibility. Safety should always be the top priority when working with any type of makeshift weapon.